The holidays are notoriously hard to find time to do anything. Between juggling in-laws, family dinners, shopping for gifts, getting groceries, let alone spending time with a significant other, how is the average writer supposed to find time to write? After all, if your family’s anything like my own some roll their eyes at you and take your requests for alone time as a ploy to get someone else to watch your kid while you spend the day facebooking (that’s right, I made it a verb.)
Well, I’ve shared a few links on Twitter (https://twitter.com/writerramsay) in the last few days regarding finding time. Whether you think the biggest problem to writing is motivation, scheduling, priorities, or children who smoosh peanut butter into your keyboard, your truth is your own!
Regardless of your truth, here are a few links that contain articles, blogs or tips for getting writing no matter what your writing impediment of choice may be, and there are a lot!
1. From the website that has it all, HuffPost, Writer’s Relief has created a list of ways to find time to write during a busy schedule.
2. The science behind finding time to write.
3. Is there an ideal time of day to write? The Guardian reviews this question.
4. While they claim these motivational tips “actually work” they’re focused more on internal motivation and responsibility. So, if responsibility is your thing (cough) then, this list is for you.
5. 20 tips of motivation from The Writer Mag.
6. A list of articles over at Writer’s Digest about overcoming Writer’s Block.
7. For folks who just can’t find the time because they suck at priorities or don’t know how to even get started… this one’s for you.
8. If like more and more writers you have ADHD, here are some tips from PsychCentral about building your own routine with ADHD.
And I’d be remiss if I didn’t include the blog posts I wrote about finding the time:
About tools that help you get organized to write, especially if you have a toddler in your life: http://writeramandamcdonald.blogspot.ca/2012/08/3-ways-to-create-even-with-kid.html
Do you like these? Let me know in the comments! Or, if you have a blog or a recommendation to round out this list, please let me know in the comments.